Zula Mofokeng, popularly known as J-Cob, who began his career in 2013 with a single titled “Ke teng” produced by Black Steel along with follow up tracks “Hanyane” and “Hake Sbaye (Helele banna)”.
With just a few songs under his belt, J-Cob fast enjoyed a huge following both in Lesotho and Free State province in South Africa due to his unique approach to Hip Hop, and claimed his position as the best Sotho hip hop artist after receiving numerous awards in 2015 for Best Newcomer and Best Hip Hop Act at the Golden Bean Music Awards. Months later he won the Song of the Year award at Ultimate Music Awards with “Hake Sbaye (Helele Banna)” and scooped another Ultimate Music Award for Song of the year (“Mathata lefats’e) in the subsequent year. In his pursuit to lift his career and that of other rappers, he introduced Sefi genre which symbolized his use of Sesotho in rapping.
Due to his raw and unique style in Hip Hop, J-Cob caught the attention of mainstream artists and has shared the stage with the likes of AKA, Nasty C, Cassper Nyovest, Riky Rick and a lot more. In 2015 he was featured in Move magazine and has since been the highlight of a generation of upcoming artists. J-Cob proved his determination to make a breakthrough in the music industry when he performed at one of the biggest hip hop events “BACK TO THE CITY” in 2016, shortly after the release of his latest project “Sefi Music E.P”. His song “Keya Phusa” was featured in Rhythm City – One of South Africa’s Most Popular Soapies screening on eTV. J-Cob graced the stage with his aptitude performance at the Botswana Music Union Music Awards 2017, better known as BOMU Music Awards held at Gaborone. In 2018 J-Cob was amongst the top10 emerging artists which were chosen to perform at one of the biggest Event in South Africa titled “3 DAY SPRING BREAK” hosted by Kwesta in Germiston. Again weeks later he was the only artist other than DJ’s in Free State who was chosen to perform at another one of the Biggest event Titled “Pop Bottles” which rotates to every big city in South Africa.
His performances/entertainment industry experience in summary:
• Featured on Shiz Niz / YoTv / Craze-E
• Performed at “Back To The City”
• Headliner of Macufe Hip Hop Show (2015 / 2016)
• Released Sefi Music E.P
• Won Song of the year award with “Hake Sbaye” (Ultimate Music Awards)
Won Golden Bean Music Awards for “Best new comer” and “Best hip hop act” awards
• Performed at Vodacom Summa Feva
• Performed at PHAT THURSDAYS “Cantare”
• Performed at Klerksdorp Street Festival
• Performed at Potchefstroom Beer Festival
• Released Sefi Reloaded E.P
• Hit single Hoseng ft Kommanda Obbs
• “Keya Phusa” featured in Rhythm City
• In 2018 he released “Ako Nkutlwe Pele” which is making rounds on commercial radio stations in South Africa and Lesotho
• 14 December 2018 he performed in one of the biggest shows in Lesotho titled “Maseru Summer Fest”.